Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Caitlynn Rosenberg Earns the Girl Scout Gold Award

 
 
Girl Scouts of Southern Illinois (GSSI) is pleased to announce that Caitlynn Rosenberg from O’Fallon has received the Girl Scout Gold Award, the highest award a Girl Scout can receive.

For her Girl Scout Gold Award project, Caitlynn combined her love of cooking with her love of helping children. In particular, she wanted to show them healthier things to eat that would prevent childhood obesity. She held a Healthy Food Cooking Class at local children’s camps and shared healthy snack tips and ways to avoid becoming obese.

 “My Girl Scout Gold Award project help me learn that I can do anything I set my mind to,” said Rosenberg. “I also learned that my leadership skills developed a lot during my project and that these skills will continue to grow because I will always have this project to reflect upon.”

Caitlynn is the daughter of Ericka and Frank Rosenberg. She is a senior O’Fallon Township High School and has been a Girl Scout for 10 years. She plans to attend college and major in Culinary Arts.

The Girl Scout Gold Award, the highest award a Girl Scout can earn, recognizes a Girl Scout's commitment to excellence as she develops skills and values to meet present and future challenges in her life. To earn the Girl Scout Gold Award, a Girl Scout Senior or Girl Scout Ambassador must design and carry out a project that fulfills a need within a girl’s community, creates change, and is sustainable. The project must be completed with a suggested minimum of 80 hours of work. Only about 6 percent of eligible girls earn the prestigious Gold Award.