Thursday, May 4, 2017

Elizabeth Burr from Collinsville Has Earned the Girl Scout Gold Award



Girl Scouts of Southern Illinois (GSSI) is pleased to announce that Elizabeth Burr from Collinsville has earned the Girl Scout Gold Award, the highest award a Girl Scout can receive. 

For her Girl Scout Gold Award project, called Camps in Motion, Elizabeth visited GSSI’s camps and filmed the camp properties and facilities as well as girls enjoying various programs and activities held at camp. Through her Girl Scout Gold Award, Elizabeth produced four promotion camp videos that GSSI can use to share information about the camp properties for girls and parents or to show potential funders who support outdoors and camping for girls. “I’ve always had a passion for film making, and I thought I would combine that with my passion for camps to complete my Girl Scout Gold Award,” Elizabeth said.

“I feel as though I learned to be a good leader and role model, as I saw many young Girl Scouts looking up to me as I filmed at camp throughout this project,” Elizabeth added.

Elizabeth is the daughter of Marvin and Allyson Burr. She will graduate from Collinsville High School in 2017 and has been a Girl Scout for 13 years.

The Girl Scout Gold Award, the highest award a Girl Scout can earn, recognizes a Girl Scout's commitment to excellence as she develops skills and values to meet present and future challenges in her life. To earn the Girl Scout Gold Award, a Girl Scout Senior or Girl Scout Ambassador must design and carry out a project that fulfills a need within a girl’s community, creates change, and is sustainable. The project must be completed with a suggested minimum of 80 hours of work. Only about 5 percent of eligible girls earn the prestigious Gold Award.