Thursday, February 7, 2013

Susan Gurwitch: My First Girl Scout Cookie Program

Susan Gurwitch, COO

So, it’s my first cookie program as GSSI’s COO and as a parent.  I have been out with my girls selling in the rain and cold; have watched them be successful and be turned down (we have 12 girl scouts in our neighborhood) - yet I have never seen them so motivated or excited to be participating in something.  Coming off of the enthusiasm of a successful Fall sale, both girls were set on selling at least 1,000 boxes.  Cooper wants to go to Resident Camp and Josie wants to go to Six Flags.  Selling 1,000 boxes is a huge achievement (and, we’re finding out, hard work!)   We are nowhere near our goals yet, but the girls plan on selling in cookie booths on all five weekends available, so we’ll see where we end up!

From a staff perspective, I know there are still concerns about the Spring versus Fall timeframe.  I know it’s difficult, but as parents and staff we need to do all we can to help our girls be successful.   Changing our strategies and encouraging the girls is most important.  After all, it’s all about them and honing their skills.  I look forward to the booth sales and watching the troops develop their people skills, money management, and hitting their goals.  I also know the Product Program staff is working around the clock to help all of our parents and volunteers - whether it’s helping to secure booth locations, getting cookies to service units, or fielding questions about the cost and cookie choice difference between us and Girl Scouts of Eastern Missouri.

Also, I am thrilled with the success of GSSI’s Fall product program.  After a successful nut, candy, magazine program (both personally for my girls as well as for the council) the excitement around our house is contagious.   I continue to look forward to hearing from all of you.  The more I hear, the more I learn!  Please keep letting me know how things are going.