The Nut, Candy, Magazine (NCM) Product Program is an integral component of the Girl Scout Leadership Experience where girls gain hands-on practice with five skills linked to leadership and financial literacy (for Daisies, Brownies and Juniors).
- Goal Setting: Girls set product sale goals and, with their troop, create a plan to reach them. This matters because girls need to know how to set and reach goals to success in school, on the job and in life.
- Decision Making: Girls decide where and when to sell products, how to market their sale and what to do with their earnings. This matters because girls must make many decisions, big and small, in their lives. Learning this skill helps them make good ones.
- Money Management: Girls develop a budget, take product orders and handle customers’ money. This matters because girls need to know how to handle money – from their lunch money to their allowance to (someday) their paycheck.
- People Skills: Girls learn how to talk (and listen) to their customers, as well as learning how to work as a team with other girls. This matters because it helps them do better in school (on group projects, on sports teams and on the playground) and, later, at work.
- Business Ethics: Girls act honestly and responsibly during every step of the fall product sale. This matters because employers want to hire ethical employees- and the world needs ethical leaders in every field.
Our partner for the 2014 GSSI NCM Product Program is Ashdon Farms, a licensed Girl Scout vendor since 1986. They offer a wide selection of delectable nuts and candies, including distinctive molded chocolates that are not sold in stores. Ashdon Farms is known for their Girl Scout keepsake tins, which are customer favorites.
Magazine subscriptions will also be sold as part of the GSSI Product Program in partnership with QSP. They offer online sales of new and renewed subscriptions to over 900 popular magazines at lower than newsstand prices.
The GSSI Product Program begins on Saturday, September 20, 2014 (“GO Day”) and is the best way for your troop to:
- Earn funds early in the year for troop activities.
- Grow the confidence, skills and financial competence of your Girl Scouts
- Prepare for the Girl Scout Cookie Program
2014 Key Dates
Initial order taking: Sept 20 – Oct 11
Product delivered: Nov 10-14
It’s not too late to sign up! Contact your local Service Unit Product Manager or Kelly Jansen, Director of Product Program at 800.345.6858, ext. 2104 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details on how your troop can participate!