Monday, September 17, 2012

Susan Gurwitch: The Start of My Girl Scout Journey

Susan Gurwitch, COO

It's been 3 months now since I started working at GSSI as the Chief Operating Officer.  It’s been such a great learning experience and I am so excited about everything the Council has to offer.  Not being a life-long Girl Scout, I have come to realize I am in the lucky position of being able to learn all about the Girl Scouts from three very different perspectives - as a member of the GSSI staff, as a mom of two brand new Girl Scouts, and through the eyes of my two girls.  (You might as well get to know my children; they will most likely be a part of this monthly blog.  Cooper is a second grader and has joined an established Brownie troop with a great leader, great parents, and great girls.  Josie is 5, just started kindergarten this week, and will be a Daisy in a brand new troop, also with a wonderful leader.)
In August, I attended my first large council-sponsored program, the Real Girls Tri mini-triathlon.  Real Girls Tri gave over 50 Girl Scouts the opportunity to build courage, confidence and character by swimming, biking and running in a timed-race.  Suggested by the event name, the emphasis of the event was getting girls to try new things.  As I helped set up bikes, some still with training wheels (including Josie’s), for the first transition I was impressed with the enthusiasm and excitement from both the girls and the parents.
 
Both of my girls participated and I can’t tell you how proud I was in so many ways - so proud to be a part of GSSI and all the good things that are happening for and with the young girls and adult volunteers in our area; so proud of the members of my team (THANK YOU Program Manager Angie Suhre!) who hosted such an amazing event; and as a mother who watched her two babies cross the finish line, receive their medals and feel so good about themselves.  They finished 42nd and 52nd and I am as proud of them for finishing as the mom of the girl who won.  The most touching memory I have is hearing my 5 year old tell me she wanted to quit during the cycling portion but she decided to keep going to “see what it felt like to finish”.  She (and I) was so proud getting her medal earned all on her own.
As we embark on this journey together, looking for ways we can improve our offerings to our girls and volunteers alike, I can assure you I will keep all three perspectives in sight.  I am so honored to be a part of this organization and look forward to working for and with all of you. 
My girls!