Monday, May 13, 2013

Cati Cronin: Born to Be a Girl Scout!

Cati Cronin, Girl Scout Ambassador

My name is Cati Cronin, and I am with Ambassador Troop 541 from O'Fallon.  I was born to be a Girl Scout!  My grandma, my mom, my sister, and even my dad, have always been part of the Girl Scout family. 

Girl Scouts gives me a great feeling that I am part of something bigger than just an average organization.  It gives me a chance to express myself through programs and activities.  As I entered into middle school and high school, my friends started saying how being a Girl Scout isn’t cool, but it is my passion!  I strive to be a part of every opportunity that comes my way.  Without Girl Scouts, I’m not sure I would be the person I am today.  My thirteen years have helped shape my character and have provided me with a set of morals and principles.  Girl Scouting has given me the ability to become a leader, learn from positive role models, and become a truly caring part of society. 
Girl Scouts is an amazing organization that allows girls to discover who they are, create long lasting friendships, explore new things, and to become strong and independent people.  I tell everyone about the great experiences I have had.  Such as the time I got to talk to astronaut Sandy Magnus while she was in space, or all the times that I helped with programs and all the younger girls gave me hugs because they appreciated the hard work we put into the events.  I would tell them about our council’s Century Celebration, and how cool it was to be the only girl that was part of the committee that planned it.  .  I also cherish the trip I took to Savannah with my mom and my sister, my co-leaders, and two of my best friends!  It was awesome to see where it all began, and to walk in Juliette’s footsteps.  Girl Scouts is a chance to feel like you fit in and be yourself
Throughout my thirteen years as a Girl Scout, I have encountered many truly inspirational people, and all of these amazing once in a life time opportunities are thanks to them.  I know so many wonderful volunteers who donate their time and resources to make sure girls have a great time during programs and events.  Most of the volunteers I know have families, full time jobs, and also volunteer in their communities.  Volunteers are the heart of Girl Scouts! They have helped guide me into the person I am, and always wanted to be.  I admire all of them, and I am truly thankful for having them in my life. 
I thank them for giving me the courage, confidence and character to find success in Girl Scouting, in school, and in every aspect of my life.  I am forever appreciative of all that my Girl Scouting experience has given and taught me, and I look forward to having a troop of my own!

During her thirteen years in Girl Scouting, Cati has served GSSI in many capacities, including as a GSSI Apprentice and a Girl Scout ex-officio Girl Board Member.  She was named a 2013 Outstanding Graduating Girl Scout .  She plans to study Elementary Education in college, to pursue a career as a teacher.

Displaying vintage uniforms with Troop #541 during
GSSI's celebration of the 100th Annversary of Girl Scouts.