Monday, May 20, 2013

Rebecca Boehning: Girl Scouts Empowered Me

As a young kindergartner, I can recall sitting in a circle and singing songs with many of my close friends during Girl Scout Daisy meetings.  My mom and I worked on earning try-its over the weekends when I was a Brownie.  Being a Junior Girl Scout allowed me to lead weekend Girl Scout camps with younger troops.  One of my favorite Girl Scout memories is when my troop and I walked across the Eads Bridge to bridge from Juniors to Cadettes.  I assisted building a “Square Foot” Garden in Madison, Illinois for the Sow What? journey as a Girl Scout Senior.  Finally, I completed my Girl Scout gold Award  project as an Ambassador, the highest award given in Girl Scouts.  Overall, my journey through all of the stages of Girl Scouts has empowered me to be the strong and independent woman I am today.

One important value Girl Scouts taught me in the value of friendship.  When I was a Daisy, there were about 25 girls in my troop.  Now there are only six girls remaining.  Though our numbers shrank, the remaining girls are some of my closest friends today.  Without Girl Scouts, I may not have encountered the women I call my best friends.  Also, I learned how enjoyable it is to make new friends.  I made many new friends at Girl Scout camps when my troop worked alongside members of another group. My favorite Girl Scout song says “Make new friends, but keep the old.”  I’ve learned to live by that rule because of Girl Scouts.

Also, Girl Scouts has allowed me to develop valuable leadership skills.  During my high school career, I directed overnight camps and assisted leading Troop #329.  For my Girl Scout Gold Award project, I mapped the trees and benches in the parks around O’Fallon and designed a website that allows community members to view the project.  I worked with the men from the Public Works office in O’Fallon by leading them through my website design vision.  These leadership opportunities not only allowed me to give back to my community, but also taught me how to work with both children and adults. 

Most importantly, Girl Scouts showed me the joy of helping others.  Girl Scouts allowed me to help around my community with projects such as building a Square Foot Garden for underprivileged families, mapping dedication trees around the city of O’Fallon, and assisting at local animal shelters.  These valuable experiences have shaped my life goals.  In the future, I want to help others like I did in Girl Scouts.  I hope to obtain a job working towards perfecting alternative sources of fuel.  With the price of petroleum continuing to rise, energy sources like nuclear, wind, and solar become more viable options.  My innovative ideas can improve these alternative fuel choices to fulfill their maximum potential.  I want to be responsible for major improvements in the world around me.  Girl Scouts, because it empowered me to help others so much already, has inspired me to work hard to achieve this dream.   

Looking back on the thirteen years I have been a Girl Scout, I am so thankful to have been a part of it.  The experiences I gained through this activity have ultimately shaped who I am today and my goals for the future.  I recommend Girl Scouting to all girls, young and old, because the friends and skills you gain while participating in this group are immense and deeply satisfying.  I plan to become the leader of my future daughter’s troop so she can experience the great things Girl Scouts has to offer.


Rebecca bridging from Daisies to Brownies.
 
Rebecca excelled in many areas during her high school career -- including honors academics, a variety of school clubs, volleyball, marching band and teaching Sunday School. Even with her busy schedule, Rebecca participated in many community service projects during her thirteen years as a Girl Scout.  This commitment to helping others guided her to earn the Trifecta Award, which is a new GSSI award presented to Girl Scouts who earn the Girl Scout Bronze Award, Girl Scout Silver Award and Girl Scout Gold Award.  In Fall 2013, Rebecca plans to attend University of Illinois to major in chemical engineering. With her dedication to exploring alternative energy, Rebecca joins the Girl Scouts legacy of alumnae who go on to thrive in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math careers, including virtually every female U.S. astronaut.