Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Kathryn Stacy from Shiloh Has Earned the Girl Scout Gold Award


 
Girl Scouts of Southern Illinois (GSSI) is pleased to announce that Kathryn Stacy from Shiloh has received the Girl Scout Gold Award, the highest award a Girl Scout can receive. 
For her Girl Scout Gold Award project, Kathryn shared her love of cooking and gardening with the O’Fallon community.  “For my Girl Scout Gold Award project, I volunteered at the O’Fallon Garden with members of the O’Fallon Garden Club.  We grew vegetables that were then donated to the O’Fallon Community Food Pantry,” Stacy said.  “For the other part of my project, I prepared recipes that included vegetables from the O’Fallon Garden and shared the recipes and food samples with clients at the food pantry.”
 “By completing my Girl Scout Gold Award, I learned that in order to be the leader I wanted to become, I had to be loud and make myself known.  I also learned that I have what it takes to overcome the smallest to the biggest obstacles in life,” Stacy said. 
Kathryn is the daughter of John and Kari Stacy.  She is a senior O’Fallon Township High School.  She plans to attend Southwest Illinois College to major in Culinary Arts.   
The Girl Scout Gold Award, the highest award a Girl Scout can earn, recognizes a Girl Scout's commitment to excellence as she develops skills and values to meet present and future challenges in her life.  To earn the Girl Scout Gold Award, a Girl Scout Senior or Girl Scout Ambassador must design and carry out a project that fulfills a need within a girl’s community, creates change, and is sustainable.   The project must be completed with a suggested minimum of 80 hours of work.  Only about 6 percent of eligible girls earn the prestigious Gold Award.