Monday, April 3, 2017

Girl Scouts of Southern Illinois Presents Angie Zahn with Heart of Gold Award

GSSI CEO Sarah Durbin, Angie Zahn, GSSI Board Chair Linda Manley

Girl Scouts of Southern Illinois has honored Angie Zahn from Trenton with the Heart of Gold Award, which recognizes the long-term impact a volunteer has had on girls and adults in his/her community through involvement in Girl Scouting. The service of this volunteer has been an integral part of maintaining and recruiting new girls and/or adults in one or more areas of the council. The award was presented during GSSI's Annual Meeting on April 1 at Holiday Inn in Mt. Vernon. 

Angie is the owner of Zahn Appraisal Service and a Broker with Strano & Associates Real Estate. Currently she serves on Girl Scouts of Southern Illinois  (GSSI) Board of Directors as Secretary.  Angie served as a Past President of Girl Scouts of River Bluffs Council for six years and on the Board of Directors for 12 years.   She has been Girl Scout Mentor and Girl Scout Leader for the past 30 years and under her leadership, seven of her girls have earned the prestigious Girl Scout Gold Award.   Angie is a Lifetime Member of the Girl Scouts and a founding member of GSSI’s Juliette Gordon Low Society.  



“Girl Scouting is a very important part of my life," said Zahn.  "I always wanted to write a book entitled ‘Everything I Need to Know, I Learned in Girl Scouting.’  I started it...My experiences with Girl Scouting have been lasting.  While all of my experiences have been as an adult, they have made a lasting impression on me and the best thing I can do is to volunteer to help others -- girls and adults.  
"I believe that we get more by giving back," she continued.  "Volunteering for Girl Scouts has put more meaning into my life than many things.  I try to live the Promise and the Law every day. What could be a more powerful reason to get involved, than working and playing as a volunteer with an organization who has such a strong purpose and message!”