Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Sarah's Girl Scout Gold Award Blog: Getting Approved


Hello all! I know it has been a while since I finished my Gold Award project, but the journey has definitely not ended. On March 5th, I presented my project scrapbook to the Girl Scout Council of Southern Illinois.

On the morning of my big presentation, I slipped on a simple teal dress and made sure to properly do my hair and makeup. It is better to dress up and look your best for such an important event, so try to shy away from jeans and a t-shirt. You will look professional and get extra style points with the Council J. It will also boost your confidence when you are presenting.

Once I arrived in Glen Carbon at Council headquarters, I prepared my mom’s laptop with a slideshow of all the extra pictures I had taken throughout my project. My scrapbook was done and ready to go, but I brought more photos in case the Council wanted to see more. Another good rule of thumb to have is to not procrastinate with your scrapbook. My leader had a girl a few years back who ended up finishing hers in the car on the way to Council. I was determined to get mine done on time but I had a busy schedule, so I set a goal to have at least two pages done a week until I had completely finished it. The night before, I put my finishing touches on my scrapbook and was so proud of the outcome. It was really fun making it, and all of the hard work had paid off.

During my presentation, the Gold Award Committee members were excitedly flipping through my scrapbook and asking me questions about how I accomplished my project. The interview was not as nerve wrecking as I had imagined it to be. It was actually fun! My descriptions of the project and the process of finishing it were met with encouraging smiles and lots of enthusiasm. The whole presentation was over before I knew it. I had officially earned my Gold Award! 

The last obstacle of my project was finally over. Now, all that there is left to do is attend the All That Glitters Award Ceremony in . It has been a fantastic journey, and I am thankful for all of the experiences. On top of that, I will have a completed scrapbook to keep forever to remember what I have accomplished.